Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Journey

40 Million Meters.

Take a step forward, but not just any step. Stretch your legs as far as they can go, I mean wide here, nearly so wide that you risk falling over. Take the biggest step you could ever possibly take. That step is likely about the size a meter. Now take another, and another. Take 10, take 100. Tired yet? Great! Now, here's the hard part, take another 40 Million. Keep moving forward and you'll end up roughly at about the same place where you started, but more importantly, you'll have seen the world. 40 Million Meters.

The average person walks the equivalent of four times around the Earth in their lifetime. Let me repeat that, YOU will walk the equivalent of four times the circumference of the Earth in your lifetime. Sounds crazy doesn't it? It's amazing that our bones and our muscles can support such a journey.  So you get 4 times around the Earth, where do you plan on taking your steps?

As for my steps, this blog will track them on my 40 Million Meter journey - the steps I take, the paths I'll travel, and the experiences I'll share. I call it the 40 Million Meter Dash. Once around the Earth - as I plan on venturing all the way around the globe at least once. And though I won't be walking the entire way...be it by plane, train, automobile, riding, and of course some walking...I guarantee I'll be putting in those 40 Million steps along the way. I'm looking forward to learning new things, seeing cultures in lands far away, loving life and living the adventure. So without further ado, the journey starts now.