Friday, August 26, 2011

My first 100+ mile day

Well I'm beat, in fact, I'm more than beat. I'm falling asleep as I write this. I almost feel asleep in the spaghetti Theresa had just made for me. I logged over 100 miles today, my first, hopefully not my last, but hopefully my last for a while. It all started at 830am on the southern tip of the currituck peninsula. I ended at the northern section of Newport news. There were a few stops along the way, one for chili dogs on Knott's island, another to tighten all of the spokes on my new rear wheel. Oh yea, after two hours of frustration, I learned how to tighten and align all spokes on a wheel, protip, make sure all of the spokes are somewhat tightened before you align the wheel, or else your wheel will flop around like a wet noodle.

Today also happened to be the day of my first big fall. I'm a little bruised up and bloody from night riding...just missed the abrupt truncated shoulder coming off the bridge. Both the bike and I went flying into the road, fortunately no cars...but I don't think I'll be doing any more night rides anytime soon, dangerous add it is, it's not worth thinking about in urban areas. But it was worth it this time to see Teresa before she evacuates tomorrow. I finished up sometime right before midnight. The 8 miles on the James river bridge bring the most harrowing experience to date and the last 10 miles in Newport news being the most life draining.
Well my eyes can no longer stay open, so I'm heading to bed. night!

No comments:

Post a Comment