Thursday, August 11, 2011

Another day on the road




Well yesterday was yet another eventful day. I logged just over 60 miles from my starting point in Lockhart to Kershaw.

The day started early, 730 ish. I woke up to the blood soaked gore of a B horror flick. Apparently anywhere that my skin had touched the mosquito netting of my hammock was still bitten by mosquitos, but the funny part I suppose is that anytime the bites were painful enough to notice, I turned in my sleep, forcing the little buggers through the mesh and leaving bloody trails where their bodies once were. So I suppose they got what they deserved, and I learned a valuable lesson on how to set up the hammock properly from now on.

The second thing that I noticed was that my face was only about 6 inches from the ground when I woke up. The ropes attached to the pylons slowly slipped closer together through the night. I'm glad this was a gradual thing and not an all of a sudden thing. Unfortunately, I did toss and turn all night. The occasional semi would shake the bridge and the noise was something fierce, but I got enough energy to get me going.

So I got back up to the gas station where I finished last night and was greeted by a charming woman who had some kind of thing for me. She didn't look much older than her early 40' s but she said that she had a 19 year old granddaughter that she wanted to set me up with if I was staying in town. She and the other clerk resounded about this girl's beauty and if she looks anything like her grandmother then I believe it. So we all talked for another hour while my phone charged and then I headed off.
The first few miles are always some of the worst, just getting back into the groove. What's more, today was hilly, not steep but very hilly, this is the sand hills after all.

So I took off to Chester, and then to Great Falls, and my energy started to dwindle. I've learned that my energy goes down exponentially as the heat and time away from a long break goes up. I've been trying to take a 2 hour long break midday to avoid the heat, unfortunately, I couldn't find a spot until 330 pm yesterday and I was long overdue for a break by then...the last hour was slow with many short breaks. After a long two hour break I was off again, I cruised for a bit until I hit heath springs. I can't tell whether I like medium length trips of a few miles with some turns or the long jaunts with few turns. Medium trips break the monotony, but still require navigation. Long trips lack the short term, break it into small pieces type goals. I do know that the really short trips with many turns are my least favorite. I get lost often, and that's just what happened in Heath as it did in Spartanburg, sucking away valuable time and distance. Perhaps I'll keep the phone navigation on during those times from now on since these roads tend to be less marked.
Well the phone is charged so I best get going, hopefully more to write tonight!




No comments:

Post a Comment