Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Asheville to Inman - The First Day Trip

Success! Yesterday, I made it to Inman! The trip was just a bit over 50 miles and very hilly, but fortunately, this time more downhill than up. I started out at around 11:30am and made it in just after 6pm. I would have made it sooner save for my debacle in Saluda, known of course for "the steepest mainline railroad grade in the contiguous US" which I got to experience full on yesterday. You see, I was using Google Maps on my phone to navigate the trip, but I couldn't use the built in navigator because it would put too much of a strain on the battery. So the next turn off from Hwy 176 was to be "Pearson Falls Rd" I will never forget that name. By the time I actually got into Saluda I was somewhat dehydrated and extremely overheated. I had decided to push my limits in 97 degree weather and try to ride into town before I stopped again for a drink of water. And so I did, but by the time I got into town, I was feeling it. So I drove through town to the last place that served cold drinks, so I could just start right off on the road after a brief rest. Well, that didn't work out, the place was closed, so I rode slightly back up into downtown and found another place. This place was also closed for the day, but they were still finishing up, so they let me grab some ice water on their way out. Well, after the break, I felt refreshed and ready to go...and wouldn't you know it, luck was on my side...the next 4 miles were a steep downhill grade. So with the wind in my face and Saluda to my back, I took off at a nice 35 mph pace down the hill. And about 2/3rds of the way down I saw it "Pearson Falls Rd" I was going too fast to stop instantly so I had to backtrack back up slightly, and so I got up the hill a bit and took it.

Well, instantly I noticed that the water was flowing in the other direction, but I thought that perhaps it meets 176 at a higher elevation later and that it was saving me a significant distance that 176 would have otherwise taken to wrap around the countryside. But Pearson Falls eventually turned into a dirt road and just kept getting steeper and steeper. By about the second mile, my water soaked shirt was now dry and I was once again heating up quickly. I was draining energy fast and was thinking that I may just call my friends and tell them that I wasn't going to make it to Inman and I was quitting for the day. I pressed on but kept a watchful eye on the stream flowing just down the bank. I finally couldn't go anymore, the incline was sapping me and I needed another break, so I put the bike to the side, walked down the bank and put my feet in the water and then my knees and finally I got into a pose I could only describe as what you'd expect from a monk praying in a monastery. Then I raised my arms and looked to the sky and shouted "WHY, WHY!!!" and laid in the water for a good 10 minutes. After a bit, I started to feel better, so I took of the now waterlogged shirt and swished it in the water to fully soak it....and embarked once again. I was determined to beat Pearson Falls, and after a mile and a half of continuous up hill, I met up again with 176...back in downtown Saluda. It seems in all of my heat exhaustion from earlier, I had completely missed the first turn off onto Pearson Falls Rd, and went in where I was supposed to come out. Well, at least I'd  Well, at least now the trains and I share something in Saluda. And the 4 miles back downhill was nice.

So I finally made it to Lake Bowen, and was greeted by 3 familiar faces. Alan, Mischa, and Sarah were all there relaxing in the lake, and soon later I was too.

So I'm about to embark again. Hopefully tonight I'll be in the Sumter National Forest.

3 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you're trip is going so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike! People are definitely welcome to comment if they'd like. It's good motivation, facebook comments are good too...I've been pretty happy with the page views so far, but just writing this has been gratifying in itself.

    ReplyDelete