Saturday, August 13, 2011

I made it to Myrtle!

It was a long trip but I made it!

I ended up leaving Florence late on account of a flat tire and there broken spokes. Fortunately florence had a bike shop our I likely would have been stuck.  Anywho, I was able to leave around 2, and knowing that this was going to be the longest leg of the trip, at 80 miles, I had to book out if I had any chance of getting there without having to stay the night once more in the woods, sweaty, chafed, and without a shower. So I floored it for the first 2 hours at near 18 miles per hour. The weather was in my favor, cool with a hint of rain in the air.
Then the tired set in, what's worse, I was on 501. I lied when I said sand roads were the worst, no 15 miles on a road whet the cars are going 60+ mph without a shoulder is the worst especially the mile long bridge taking you from Marion county into Horry. That's scary enough for a car let alone a bicycle. I was glad to hit sand roads after that.

So after about 5 hours I had traveled a little over 60 miles with few stops but my legs were starting to give so I stopped by a small place off Joyner swamp road to get some sweet tea and let my legs  rest for a while. Once again, the people were very nice. You could tell out was a ma and pop place the ma did the raising while the pop talked everyone's ear off. She made some of the sweetest tea I've ever had, but it hit the spot and I ended up drinking a whole pitcher before leaving.

Then I was off again. The tea had supplied me enough energy to get to Loris, but I was once again tired as night fell so I broke down to see if I could get a ride, but to no avail. I had to do this on my own.
I trudged for another hour, the only time I sped up was when I was being chased by dogs. Then night fell, and I don't know of out was the moon guiding my way from the east or being so close to the beach, but o got a sudden burst of the most intense energy. And once again raced down the road for the next 10+ miles, through Wampee, down the bridge and to my destination just barely before 11pm.

80 miles in one day with a 70+ pound pack and now I'm at the beach! This couldn't be much more awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment