Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Day 3 in Asheville - Lake time

So Mischa invited me to her parents lake house for the day. Once again we got up pretty late, she picked me up from my sister's place and we drove the hour and a half down to Inman. From there we licked our wounds from the amazing weekend and lounged in the lake.

Her friends Will and Rob as well as her family came over and we all eventually jumped into the speedboat to do some waterskiing and toobin'. I was quite pleased with myself on the waterski's this time. Last time, 3 years ago, it took me 5 tries before I got up on the water, and then of course wiped out face first into the area where my crotch had been moments earlier...legs really aren't supposed to spread that way. Anywho, this time, after one mishap in getting up, I was up on the water. Better yet, the training I did for snowskiing at Hawksnest a few years ago paid off. The two are almost identical in regards to balance and steering. By the end of it all I was hopping wake and skirting nearly beside the boat. Then came the raft. Not much to say there, we were all having a blast, cramming 4 people in a raft that could barely fit 3 of us safely and then cruised around the lake at 40+ mph. The turns were wicked, jumping the wake was intense, and when Larry (Mischa's dad) finally decided that he wanted to throw us off the raft, we all plunged face first into the water. After the second time of getting water up my nose at the speed of 40 mph, I was done - Got back on the boat and watched the crazy 3 flail around like ragdolls until they too had suffered enough whiplash to quit for the day.

Later on, Larry took us out on a night ride on the lake. I know we weren't going terribly fast, again maybe 45, but the combination of not being able to see terribly far on the lake and worrying about running into a maligned buoy or duck freaked me out. Once I got over the fear, the wind in my hair, the tiny sliver of the moon, the wake coming from the boat, and the numerous stars in the sky made it all worthwhile.  I'm beginning to like this whole free-spirited, not a care in the world thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment