Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Coming to you LIVE under a bridge next to the Broad River in beautiful Lockhart, South Carolina!

Another successful day on the road today! I did 60 miles in just under 8 hours with a few stops along the way. nothing too major on the highways today. I did get a little lost on the east side of Spartanburg. Google's directions had me going every which way on roads whose names either changed or do not have signposts. After an hour of frustration in the middle of the heat of the day and going only a mile, I took highway 9 on the way out. It worked, but the road was hillier and busier than the other way would have likely been. after Spartanburg, the way was relatively flat...a treat from what I have expected on this trip. I suppose I'm out of the mountains for now.
The most eventful thing today was likely setting up this hammock from where I'm texting you now. Leave it to me to try and set up the hammock for the first time in the middle of the night and on a steep incline nonetheless. after the laws of physics defied me twice, or rather, after I attempted to defy the laws of physics, I was finally able to get the straps to latch onto the pylons under this bridge. It still slipped a bit when I got climbed into it (literally climbed...I'm hanging 6 feet over the ground) the tension finally held the straps in place. It's a nice minor accomplishment for the trip. And quite comfortable! The rain sounds nice pitter-pattering against the bridge and the gentle breeze against my back is keeping me cool. The overpassing cars seem to be the only thing that could prevent me from having a restful slumber.
On that note, time to get some shuteye.