Monday, August 8, 2011

A recap of the week in Asheville

This week has been a slow one, not enough really to have an entire post on just a day's event's so I figure that I would finish out this week with a recap.

After a fun filled, but also relaxing Monday at the lake, we spent about half the day Tuesday once again in the water. I worked on finally getting rid of my farmer's tan and evening out the skin tone. Roughly mid afternoon we decided to head back to Asheville, where we did an enjoyable evening bike ride through the park by Mischa's house and then headed to Biltmore square to enjoy YaYa's frozen yogurt, which charges you by the ounce. We all made amazing, more ice cream than we should have eaten sundaes.

The next day, we dropped off my bicycle at Biowheels in Asheville to get it repaired. The guy asked me to bring the derailleur in and so I did on Friday, by Saturday, the bike was fixed, and astoundingly, it only cost me $35. I was pleasantly surprised. However, they couldn't install the missing mounts for my rear rack so they referred me to Hearn's just down the road. One of the guys was very accommodating there and assembled a hodge podge of parts to get my bike in full working order, and in 20 minutes on the spot nonetheless...though it did cost me a bit more than I had intended to pay, it does seem to be working well.

Thursday we did trivia night at Arcade - a video game themed bar that Bish and Mike frequent. One of the topics was all MTV, which we did surprisingly well on. Another topic was generic brand names and the stores they're from (like Great Value = Walmart, HT Traders = Harris Teeter, etc.) and apparently Walgreen's has it's own generic beer, Big Flats. Lo' and behold we had to get some, and so we did on Saturday, amidst zombie dice, Durak (a staple card game we play), and a British horror movie starring Calista Flockhart, I dunno, I think the Walgreen's beer was more horrifying.

I finally also got my Chocolate lounge fix on Saturday. Mike also made some delicious homemade Reubens where he corned the corn beef himself...they were mighty tasty, and the Latte's he made were also delicious.

Oh, and somewhere in there we went and saw the last Harry Potter, it was ok, not as good as some of the previous one's IMO.

And so it came to Sunday. My last full day in Asheville. I got up reasonably early for not getting to bed until 5.  Got prepped to start a ride and embarked from Britt and Mike's to head to South Asheville. The ride was 13 miles long and took just under an hour...I'll post the stats pretty soon in a future post.

After the ride, the rest of the day was another good one. I got to Mischa's at about 1:30ish and we went and spent a few hours at lake Julian. I saw the factory where I used to work when I lived here, which brought up some solemn memories from my brief life in Asheville. Lake Julian's water was surprisingly warm, and we found out why...the water is circulated through the Asheville gas fired power plant, apparently it's really warm on one side of the lake...and from Mischa's childhood memories, there are leaches in it. We didn't see any today, but the paddleboating was lots of fun. Then, I finally got my Chinese fix. I've been craving it since before I left Boone, and it didn't let me down. My fortune "You lead an optimistic life." I suppose I do.

Tomorrow, my cycling takes me through Inman on the way to Myrtle, it's a 5 hour ride so I suppose I'll just stay in Inman at the lake for the night. Mischa, Alan, and possibly and old roomate, Sarah, will be coming down, so tomorrow should be another fun filled afternoon at the lake...and I'll finally be riding into South Carolina!

No comments:

Post a Comment