Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A recap of the week in Myrtle

Wow! Myrtle turned out to be an unexpected event filled bonanza.

I ended up getting to north myrtle at around 11pm and immediately washed off the 4 day old sweat and other funk from my body. Showers are one of those conveniences you definitely miss when camping and biking cross country and I've think c other people miss you taking one as well. After the shower, I promptly slept the soundest sleep I'd had all week for a solid 12 hours.

Day one was an eventful day of calling and coordinating with friends and family, though I did get the opportunity to perform the sacred tribal ritual that everyone must so when they come to the beach, yes, walking right up to the ocean and dipping your toes into the water. I had come this far, all the way from Asheville. I felt like I had accomplished something.
Day 2 I got to spend with Jessica, a friend of mine from almost half my age ago. It was good to see her, it nearly felt like I'd never left, considering we haven't even seen each other in 10 years, we were like good old friends again. So we had coffee, talked, walked on the beach and meet up with my old girlfriend, Ashley, for Margaritas. All three of us together again. Of course, they have families and children now and have grown up, but we still were able to reminisce about our old terrible making days. We also planned a potluck for Wednesday.

Day 3 I had planned to chill, but it wasn't in the cards, as my cousin Jessica had other plans. She had invited me out to the boat foot a good day of pirating. There, we meet up with her mom, my cousin, Justine and he sister, Julie. So out to seagull island we went...for a fun filled day of tubing, boating, And hunting for treasure on the islands. We all left with some loot - a few washed up bracelets, hair bands, and rubber bands, arr! We also explored the marshes, you could hear the scuttling of the hundreds of fiddler crabs fleeing from our path and see the blue crabs that would actually defend theirs. The evening ended with grouper at their restaurant, crab catchers, and then a fun filled night of drinking.

Day 4 was another day of boating. This time on the intracoastal, all the way up to holden beach for some cucumber salad and drunken pineapple. Then a trip to a deserted development in the marshes to search for more "treasure." Justine, Julie, and Jessica were a trip and definitely made my week at Myrtle eventful and worthwhile.

Day 5 was the potluck smorgasbord - salsa, burgers, sausage dogs, chicken, potatoes. I got to meet friend Jessica's children and remet her mom, who was much nicer now that we aren't rowdy teenagers. We danced to Wii dance, ate delicious food and watched movies. I definitely would very much like to visit them again. The kids were great and Jessie has turned out to be a beacon of warmheartedness.

Day 6 I finally got up with Steven and had lunch at "The Shack" before he had to go to work. We caught up on old times and where people are now. It seems like a lot of the high school people have stayed around myrtle.

When I got back, grandma was ready for some golf, so we headed to little river and hit a few on the driving range, not only did she out drive me but I broke her club after a hiring about 10 balls. I should have known it wasn't going to be a good golfing day, but we proceeded to play mini golf after the driving range thinking that
I may win back some pride, but  she thoroughly thrashed me on the Putt putt course too, I think grandma should turn pro, she's still got what it takes.

After that round about, we headed home and I licked my wounds add I awaited cousin Jessica's arrival for a few drinks. In the midst of waiting, Lauren came home and we finally got a chance to talk a bit. Lauren seems to be adjusting well to her move to Myrtle. I hope she continues to thrive and grow here in ways that

Boone couldn't offer for a young 20 something.
The last day I saw uncle Ed and aunt Joan on the way out of town, Ed is as funny as ever. Joan recent had a heart attack but both are active in the community and doing well. We went to a Mongolian Grill - Japanese style food that you pick yourself and they grill it for you, which was nice because you could get more of what you wanted. And a good meal for 12 bucks.

That night, my cousin Jessica took me up to Topsail - where we partied with some Carnies and Ukrainians. At some point, I got to ride in a slingshot carny ride. Then Saturday morning, I left on the bike for Hatteras.
Overall, the experience was so worth it, I already miss it and want to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment